I love Tom Brady as much as the next red-blooded American woman, but what the hell was this all about?
Brady was picked because he and his teammates "have made an impact in their community by hosting a sports camp for local youth," said White House spokesman Kenneth Lisaius, who declined to speculate whether the Bushes are closet Patriots fans but did confirm that no Carolina Panthers players were on the guest list.
Closet Patriots fans my ass. Impact on the community my ass. It's fairly obvious to me that it's simply a case of the First Lady having a crush--and, being the First Lady of the United States, she can pretty much do whatever she wants.
Take that, Dubya.
...of course, there's always my coworker Patrick's take on the situation. "I think they thought he was retarded," Patrick said this morning. "You know. Like how they always have the 'special people' at stuff like that, like, 'Look what this person has been able to accomplish despite his handicap'."
Poor Patrick. It's technically, I suppose, not his fault he's a Steelers fan.
Kellie, on the other hand, has an interesting conspiracy theory / free association train of thought:
"Maybe Bush thought: Patriots...Patriot Act ...More people would support the Patriot Act if they saw the quarterback of the Patriots. Patriots...Excellent defense..."Homeland defense"...Homeland Security ...oooh oooh!! More Americans will buy into Homeland Security. Patriots...Ultimate team...America must stand united against our enemies like the Patriots. Patriots...Tom Brady...leader of ultimate team...George Bush...leader of Gov't...Tom Brady....Leader...George Bush...Leader....Tom Brady...George Bush....Got it! George Bush is the Tom Brady of Gov't!! Will you vote for me now!!!
Which is a grand idea, except one can easily see flipping on any national sports channel that not enough people across the nation are fans of the Patriots for this to work. Then again, Dubya is not the brightest bulb in the box, which reopens the possibility.
I still maintain my Laura-Bush-crush theory.
And to continue the Brady Obsession here (why not make a day of it?): here is the Grand Prize Winner (IMHO) from the Boston.com message board Top 10 Lists:
Top 10 Messages on Tom Brady's Answering Machine:
10. Tom, this is Alice, Where were you when I was stuck with that other bunch?
9. Tom, this is Donald Trump, I want you to date Ivanka, and I am thinking about starting another league......
8. This is George Bush calling, if fifteen year old girls could vote, I would make you my Vice President
7. This Dr. Phil calling, please do me a favor, do not change a thing!
6. Hello Tom, this is Oprah calling, I would love to have you on my show, but you have nothing to cry about, sorry.
5. Hey Tom, How are you?, this is John Henry calling, Did you know there is no tackling in baseball and the money is guaranteed?
4. Hey Tom, Mayor Menino, not only did I get you the keys to the city, but I warmed it up for ya and pulled it up front
3. Good afternoon Tom, Governor Romney calling, How would you like to run on a Handsome Ticket with me?
2. Hello Tom, this is Wheaties, What do you think of a two-box centerfold?
1. Hello there Tom, this is Tom Jones calling, just a bit of advice, when the underwear starts flying, keep on the helmet, with that many fans, it could get dangerous
And the Runner-Up:
10. Tom, it's Drew Henson....you the man!
9. Tommy, it's Tara...I miss your money..I mean you.
8. Hi this is Robert Kraft, we are looking at changing the name of the stadium...How does Brady Field sound to you?
7. Will you marry me? (I am sure there will be hundreds of those...one or twenty from Ms. Reid.
6. Jerry Rice trying to disguise his voice "It was a FUMBLE"
5. Hey Tom, it's Brett Favre...Why did you shave man? You never shave the lucky beard before the Super Bowl! WHat were you thinkin' man!
4. Tom, this is Paul Tagliabue. We have decided to re-name our co-MVP's. DO you and Ty Law have some extra trophy room?
3. Coach Walsh here.....Montana has nothing on you kid
2. Tom , it's Lorne Michaels. You busy the Saturday after the Super Bowl?
1. It's Peyton, yeah, can I just look at the ring? I promise not to touch it...maybe just once....And can I bring Pollard. Since the game his voice has changed and he keeps saying "It's Gone..My Precious is Gone!"
"Tom, This is Joe Montana. I need my boyish good looks, my charisma, and my butt chin back. Levitra wants me to do a commercial where I throw a ball through a tire swing..."
Ah hell, just go here and read 'em all.